I have been asked more than once of late why I hate Liberal Democrats. That's a perfectly legitimate question to which I shall give an honest answer right here & right now. I don't. It's as simple as that.
My maternal Grandfather was a staunch Liberal, my own brother was a member of the LibDems until very recently. In the public eye, I would cite Ian Hislop and, especially, Stephen Fry as Liberal Democrat supporters whom I respect and admire.
Once you make the equation "All x are bastards" you either have to make a lengthy list of exceptions or turn your back on people you care about. So let's not play that stupid and dangerous game.
To be sure I, like most people in this country, AM angry at them but anger doesn't equal hatred.
I am not advocating blood in the streets or storming the Winter Palace.
I am thinking of two people I know who are being subjected to a particularly hideous injustice. The support of our Government has been actively sought in respect of this matter. It has not been forthcoming.
I am a heterosexual male who is disgusted by David Cameron and (especially) Nick Clegg. Irrespective of which fact, if I could secure justice for those people by fellating either or both of them in Parliament Square tomorrow morning, I would do it.
I abhor corruption in public life but if by signing over the bulk of my earnings for the rest of my life to Liberal Democratic party funds, I could get their vicious campaign of defamation against Disabled People who are in receipt of welfare benefits called off I would do it.
If I could get Clegg to recognise the contradiction in his advocacy of a "Small State" and the contempt which his party shows to the millions of carers in this country (The sort of people upon whom such initiatives are wholly dependent) by sending him a dozen red roses, I would do it.
As for issuing the Kalashnikovs, well, shocking as it may seem, I don't actually have any. Even if I did, I would only be thinking in those terms once all other alternatives, possibilities and choices had been unequivocally closed. And even then I'd be looking for reasons to say "No".
I remember Paul O'Grady once talking about his aunt in an interview. She was the inspiration for Lily Savage and seems to have been a formidable woman. She served as part of a civilian Anti-Aircraft gun crew during the war. Defending her home, her country and her loved ones from attack night after night after night.
In spite of this he said of her; "She didn't actually hate the Germans, she just wanted to get a good night's sleep."
Substitute "LibDems" for "Germans" and that's exactly how I feel right now.
People are more important than ideology. Can we accept that? Please?
Sunday, 22 August 2010
Why I DON'T hate Liberal Democrats.
Posted by AlecSpeaking at 21:57
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I share your views emphatically, though I don't know if I'd be able to go to such extremes to achieve our shared goals. It is for that reason, and perhaps many others, that I must apologize to Mr. Kipling and say that you're a better man than I, Alec.
Thank you, Jim You'll be relieved to hear that, at time, of writing, neither party has expressed an interest in taking me up on their offer.
Post a Comment